In a developing country like India, Animal Feeders and Pet Family often face hatred since strays are seen as threat. Being a stray animal in India is like a war zone, beaten mercilessly and sometimes being killed for entertainment.However there are certain laws which give voice to these voiceless animals, which are as follows :-
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (PCA), 1960 – An Act to prevent the infliction of unnecessary pain or suffering on animals and for that purpose to amend the law relating to the prevention of cruelty to animals.
- IPC Section 428 & 429 of the constitution – to kill or main any animal, including the stray, is a punishable offence.
- Section 9, Wildlife Protection Act, 1972 – Disturbing or destroying eggs or nest of birds and reptiles or chopping a tree having a nest, can lead to imprisonment and fine up to Rs. 25,000.
- Section 11, PCA,1960 – It is illegal to poison stray animal
- Section 11(1) (i) & 11(1) (j) of PCA,1960 – It is against the law to relocate stray animals from their territory.
Feeders and Family are threatened for feeding strays on road or keeping pet in there society, the Constitution of India provides you laws which allow you legally to feed stray animals or keep them as pets, which are stated as follow –
- The Animal Welfare Board of India issues IDs for people who feed stray animals
- Implementation of PCA,1960; Animal Birth Control (Dogs) Rules, 2001, IPC, section 428 & 429 and Article 51A(g) of constitution.
- Article 51A– It is fundamental duty of every citizen of India to have a compassion for all living creatures.
- Article 21 guarantees the protection of life and personal liberty, If someone wants to feed and provide a shelter to dogs, he is at liberty to do so.
- 503 of IPC – Criminal Intimidation.
Circulars from Animal Welfare Board of India will help you see the big picture about feeding and sheltering stray and pet animals in public place or a society. It put some obligations on you too along with others.
Pet Dog and Street Dog Circular
THE GEEK VETERINARIAN